Designated Learning Institution

How can I study in Canada?
July 13, 2018
Minor children studying in Canada
July 22, 2018
Show all

Designated Learning Institution

Study in Canada at a Designated Learning Institution

Study in Canada at a Designated Learning Institution

The education system in Canada is provincially governed. Designated learning Institutions are schools permitted by a provincial or territorial government to host international students.


Each province and territory in Canada is responsible for designating schools at the post-secondary level that enroll international students.


Designated learning institutions fall under different categories of schools; vocational schools, colleges, universities, private career colleges and universities as well as language schools.



Primary and Secondary Schools

These are schools in which students receive education up to the grade 12 level. Find out more information about schools from the Ministry of Education of the province in which you are interested in studying.


Post-secondary Schools

These are schools in which students receive education from vocational schools, colleges and universities.

Each of these post-secondary school has its own set of admission requirements and decides what language ability in English or French you will need for acceptance.


Private Career Colleges and Universities

Private schools are not necessarily regulated provincially, and it is in your best interest to make sure that each the private school you apply to meets provincial education requirements and is counted on the designated learning institution list.


Language schools

In Canada; there are many schools that teach English or French as a second language. Language programs at public schools are provincially regulated and are not necessarily regulated at private schools.


Apply to a Designated Learning Institution

Step 1

Choose the province or territory for your studies

Step 2

Search the name of school, city etc.

Step 3

Choose your program of study

Step 4

Apply to program of study


Take FREE Assessment to find the best suited designated learning institution for your studies.


Apply for a Study Permit

When applying for a study permit, you need an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution.

If you plan to attend a post-secondary school, make sure it is on the list. If you plan on studying at a primary and secondary school, then they are automatically designated learning institutions and are not counted on the list.

It is important to note that schools can lose their designated learning institution status. If this were to happen after you received your study permit, you have two options;

  • continue studying in your program until your permit expires;
  • renew your study permit only if you were enrolled at a designated learning institution

Finally; use the designated learning institution number under section details of intended study in Canada on your study permit application.


Post-graduate Work Permit

Post-secondary international students can qualify to work after graduation.

You will need to know if your designated learning institution qualifies you for the Post-graduate Work Permit Program.


Take the FREE Assessment to know if you qualify after graduation from a designated learning institution and meet the criteria for a post-graduate work permit.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *